Sally Mann

photo by Sally Mann
picture from:http://sallymann.com/selected-works/family-pictures

There is much controversy surrounding Sally Mann and some of the photographs she took of her kids and their various states of nudity. I don't want to discuss that because then this post could be pages long. I want to look at her form and use of objects in her pictures to get the effect she was looking for. I have a very hard time seeing how light falls on an object, but she does this so well. The girls are illuminated by the sun which helps show that they are the focus of the picture. The objects on the ground behind the truck make it seem as if the girls were just getting all dolled up and now they are putting finishing touches on. I love that the simple flowy dresses, the dog to the right, and the beaten up truck give it a country feel; it seems like it's their home. It makes me think of times when I would play dress up at my aunt's house with my sisters; those were simpler times that I genuinely miss. 

Comments