Steve McCurry

"Afghan Girl" by Steve McCurry
picture from: http://kjbiz.empowernetwork.com/blog/the-most-famous-photographers-of-america

I first came across this issue of National Geographic magazine the other day at work and had to look through it because it was the photo issue. When it was released, I was not as interested in photography as I am today. Steve McCurry is an American photojournalist that is best known for this picture. He took it in the 80s in Afghanistan, before the Russian invasion; tension was high between the two countries at the time. I think this picture shows the vulnerability that these people were feeling at the time, but at the same time it shows the strength of the people. The colors are so striking and her eyes really stand out against her dark complexion. I think people could identify with the expression and feelings this girl was displaying, drawing people to buy the magazine and find out more about the underlying story. 

Comments