M.C. Escher

"Waterfall"
Picture from: http://www.mcescher.com/gallery/most-popular/waterfall/

When I first graduated from high school in 2011, I went to Southeast MO State for a semester. I had to take an intro course, similar to what is offered at SCC, but each section had a different theme. I was interested in "Mathematics in Art" so many of my favorite artists I learned about in that class. 

M.C. Escher created many different works of art, but his "impossible constructions" are what caught my attention. As you can see, the water is clearly falling from the top left tower but is rising up through a series of chutes. This is technically impossible do to the work of gravity. However, Escher had such a creative mind that he didn't follow natural laws in his works and that made him a place in artistic history. 

Comments